Monday, May 31, 2010

I Made The Call To Volunteer ... No One Called Back!!!

It's been 10 days since I decided to do something to help put food in the hands of people in Ft Myers who, for one reason or another, weren't getting enough to eat. At the outset I had no idea where to start so I looked online and found the most prominent organization in Lee County. They delivered the most food, won the most acclaim for their outstanding service, had the biggest network and served the most people.

Fort Myers top notch "Hunger Fighters", it seemed reasonable to assume that if they were doing the bulk of the work ... they would have the greatest need for volunteers. So I called their volunteer number, got no answer ( understandable ... it was after business hours ) so I left a brief message, and figured I'd hear from them the next day. Oddly enough, after waiting several days and contacting other organizations, who were in fact interested in my help, it occurred to me that I had never received a return call from the first group I called! I didn't know what to think or feel, but, it certainly raised a few questions ...

Were they so understaffed that they lacked sufficient manpower to field and respond to their phone calls?

Did their answering machine/service somehow lose my message?

Do they currently have enough help, and saved my name and number for future reference?

Did I somehow leave the wrong phone number?


I imagine any of these scenarios is possible ... I can only say that not knowing has finally troubled me enough to want to find out. Up until now I've only mentioned this story to one other person, he is also active in the Ft Myers area food distribution charities, and as I shared my story and frustration with him he mentioned he had heard others tell the same tale! Have any of you had similar experiences ... or heard similar stories? I'll be following up on this as it has now finally piqued my curiosity to the point where I need to know ... I'll let you know what I find out ...



Richard Thomas, Social media/SEO Consultant in Ft Myers Florida, Writer, interested in making a positive difference in my community including but not limited to: regional search engine marketing for small businesses in Ft Myers Florida. Local Google Ranking Improved for both companies and charities. 501c3 non profit promotion done pro bono.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis